It’s been over two weeks since our last release, and we’ve got a fairly-packed new update wrapped and ready for Common Test. There’s plenty to cover, from an evolved take on customization and level design tweaks to select maps and new Tier X Soviet tanks. Oh, and we’ve got a bunch of improvements to the beginner’s experience. Let’s dive in, shall we?
Earlier this year, the second most discussed topic (after new graphics, of course) was the Soviet Tech Tree revision. The majority of tweaks revealed last December hit production servers in 9.22. Now, it’s time to lift the curtain on what’s filling the two vacant Tier X spots.
The Rear-turreted MT Line: K-91
XP needed to unlock the tank: 252,700
In 1.0.2, the Object 430 Variant II will lead to the K-91. The K-91 has tough turret armor, the line’s trademark rear-mounted turret, and it plays like a natural progression up the A-44 line. Its above average accuracy paired with superb shell velocity (1700 m/s), aiming time (1.9 s), and penetration (276 mm with APCR rounds) can prove devastating in skilled hands. Good maneuverability and reasonable gun handling compensate for brittle armor, mediocre -5 gun depression, and limited turret traverse range.
The Object 430 Variant II itself will be tweaked in accordance with other vehicles of the branch and new characteristics will be available on the second Common Test.
- Stay away from close-range battles: Although quite maneuverable, the K-91 doesn’t have the armor to last long under fire. The 180° turret traverse range is a limitation that helps make this MT easy prey for more-agile opponents.
- Make use of view range and firepower: The view range at 410m makes the K-91 shine at long-distance engagements. Thanks to high camo values comparable to other Soviet Tier X MTs, the K-91 won’t have issues spotting an enemy from the third line, but opponents will have hard time noticing it.
- Keep your friends close: Decent mobility and gun stabilization (on top of its other strengths) can help the K-91 contribute from the second line. However, the only thing solid in its armor department is the turret. So if you take the risk of playing the second line, having a few friendly guns in your corner might come in handy.
The HT mini-line: Object 277
XP needed to unlock the tank: 220,800
The T-10 is renowned for its respectable-for-a-heavy speed and punchy gun, combined with its specialization in damage output and solid armor. Aggressive and well protected, the Object 277 follows its footsteps, but take its playstyle to a new level with higher DPM, alpha damage, and penetration along with faster aiming and more HP. At the same time, it also inherits the predecessor’s vulnerable lower plate, mediocre gun depression (-5.5) and view range (400 m). Make no mistake, this newcomer is reliable, thick-skinned, and can carry matches when you play to its strengths.
Update 1.0 breathed new life into 29 maps, fixing long-standing imbalances and reimagining familiar landscapes in stunning HD. Although the majority of changes worked out, we’ve heard loud and clear many players just weren’t enjoying the last round of tweaks to Fjords and Erlenberg. Guided by your feedback and battle stats, the team went back to address issues of inconsistency and sentiment that these battlefields weren’t “fun.” We also made level design changes to Malinovka and Mountain Pass.
Stay tuned for a detailed lowdown on changes coming to Fjords, Erlenberg, Malinovka, and Mountain Pass with 1.0.2.
We’re moving steadily to remaster the remaining locations in HD and return some removed maps into the rotation. Update 1.0.2 marks another step in this process, enriching the pool of HD maps with wintry Klondike.
Keep your browsers dialed in to our website for a status update on maps coming in future updates and check out the full Klondike overview HERE.
Ever since the evolved customization system rolled out, you’ve been vocal about introducing new functionalities for a wider selection of tiers. And there you have it: starting 1.0.2, paints and style sets become available for Tier VI tanks and absolutely all Tier VIII vehicles. Initially, these were only available for Premium Tier VIII vehicles and Tier X tanks. On top of that, the Garage is getting a separate space where you can customize the tank exterior. The specially adjusted lighting it has provides a better overview of how the paint, emblems, and camo you apply will look on the battlefield. Check it out by clicking “Exterior” in the Garage.
We're working to include the ability to customize Tier VI vehicles in the second Common Test: stay tuned for more info.
Update 1.0.2 builds on the Boot Camp experience with a new set of missions. Available upon completing Boot Camp training, the new mission are designed for Tiers II-X and will explain vehicle upgrades, customization basics, consumables, equipment, and Personal Reserves.
The beginner’s experience should get smoother thanks to a selection of useful articles and tips covering everything from penetration and armor mechanics through to aiming and spotting.
Before we close out, one note: join us in testing 1.0.2 to work side by side with devs, identifying issues and helping lead the update to release!
New to testing? Check out our handy guide to public tests.
Eligibility: All players registered prior to 04:59 UTC+8 (08:00 UTC) on 17 May can participate in the test.
Feedback: please post your general feedback about the test version and bug reports in the special thread on our forum.
- Download the test client installer (4,9 MB).
- Make sure you pick a save location that is different to your regular World of Tanks game files.
- Save and run the installer.
- Run the new copy of the game. The launcher will download all the additional data.
- Log in and start playing.
The test server will be restarted regularly, according to the following schedule:
- First Periphery: 04:00 UTC every day. Average duration will be around 25 minutes.
- Second Periphery: 05:00 UTC every day. Average duration will be around 25 minutes.
- Central Database: 09:00 UTC every day. Average duration will be around 2 minutes.
The test server may be subject to unscheduled restarts and maintenance.
Head over to our dedicated forum thread to tell us what you think, and stay tuned for more news on Update 1.0.2.
Full List of ChangesExpand
1. Bootcamp has been significantly improved. A set of combat and Garage missions has been added. At the same time:
2. The missions are available to new players (who have fought less than 1,000 battles and do not have vehicles of Tier VI and higher) after completion of Bootcamp. The missions help players learn the basic mechanics of the game. Players receive useful in-game property as a reward for completing the missions.
3. The missions consist of three sets:
- Completion of Bootcamp
- Road to Glory
After completing all sets, a player gets a token they can exchange for any non-Premium vehicle of Tier VI, even if the player has not researched it yet.
4. Training Center has been introduced to help new players learn the game basics that they need to know to succeed in World of Tanks.
All topics are sorted by categories and presented as files containing images together with brief descriptions.
Training Center consists of the following sections:
- For Newcomers
- Game Modes
- Player's Vehicle
- Vehicle Types
- Attack Basics
- Defense Basics
Training Center is available in the game menu displayed upon pressing the Escape key.
5. Several issues of game locations have been fixed, some passages to areas not intended for playing have been removed on the following maps:
- Sand River
6. Several balance improvements have been made to the following maps:
- Mountain Pass
7. The Klondike map has been added for Grand Battles.
8. Vehicle exterior:
- Currently, if a player wants to change the vehicle exterior, the vehicle is transferred to a special customization Garage.
- Currently, styles can be applied to all vehicles of Tier VIII, not only to Premium ones.
9. Besides, some changes to the Garage interface and its sounds have been introduced.
Changes to Vehicle Technical Characteristics
1. Changes to the U.S.S.R. nation
The following vehicles have been added:
- Object 277
- T-34 Shielded
2. Changes to vehicle technical characteristics:
- Object 268 Version 4
- Increased dispersion during movement of the Object 268 Version 4 suspension by 33%
- Increased dispersion on hull traverse of the Object 268 Version 4 by 33%
- Changed the traverse speed of the Object 268 Version 4 suspension from 23 deg/s to 22 deg/s
- Increased dispersion on gun traverse of the 152 mm M-53S gun by 20%
- Changed the aiming time of the 152 mm M-53S gun for the Object 268 Version 4 turret from 2 s to 2.5 s.
- Changed the gun traverse speed from 30 deg/s to 28 deg/s
- Decreased armor of the hull
- Changed the forward top speed from 55 km/h to 50 km/h
- Changed the rear speed from 22 km/h to 18 km/h
- Changed the engine power from 1,500 h.p. to 1,350 h.p.
- Changed the vehicle durability from 2,100 to 2,000 HP.